Monday, December 23, 2013

Winter Cocktails at Trattoria Neapolis

If you're looking for someplace to take visiting family members...or maybe to get away from them...Trattoria Neapolis is always a good choice. Though still relatively new, this spacious Italian eatery has already made a name for itself in Pasadena with its terrific food and exemplary cocktail program. They invited some food writers out to try their new Winter Cocktail Menu (put together by Kris Doyle) and paired the drinks up with some spectacular bites. Here's what we tried.


FIRESIDE- Appleton Dark Rum, Matusalem Light Rum, Butter, Cloves, Vanilla, Cinnamon, & Orange Zest
served with
BEEF SHORTRIB MANWICHES on House Focaccia



Their version of Hot Buttered Rum is among the best I've ever had. It was so comforting and delicious I just wanted to sit by a fire and drink it all night. I'm not a beef eater, but I had a bite of the Manwich in the name of research, and it was delicious. Their focaccia is soft and scrumptious.



DARLING CLEMENTINETito's Vodka, Fresh Clementine Juice, House Made Cranberry Ginger Chutney, Combier Triple Sec, Fresh Orange & Lemon Juices
served with
ITALIAN HOT WINGSMary's Organic Chicken, House Hot Sauce




Darling Clementine was excellent and well paired with the chicken in the sense that it cooled some of the heat from the wings, though once I had that spiciness on my tongue, I lost some of the flavors in the cocktail. But I can't really complain because, as I said, the drink was excellent and those wings...let me tell you about those. 

I think the name and description do a great disservice to these wings because if I simply read them on a menu, I would probably never order this dish. However, now that I have had them, I may never be able to enter the restaurant without eating some. They were some of the best wings I've ever had. Even my sister, who HATES eating things with bones and is not fond of wings, wanted more. The thing that the name and description of the dish fail to convey is the fact that the wings are both crispy and juicy, and the sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. My mouth has literally started watering like one of Pavlov's dogs as I sit here and recall the taste. I want some now.



ITALIAN NECKTIETempleton Rye, Carpano Antica Vermouth, Maria al Monte, Chocolate Mole Bitters
served with
PUMPKIN PIZZARoasted Pumpkin, Fresh Mozzarella, Gorgonzola Dolce, Toasted Pumpkin Seeds (though it wasn't on the menu, they added prosciutto)



I love a well-balanced, boozy drink, and this was one. Perfect for those who appreciate spirits, not for folks who don't want to taste the alcohol. The pizza was as good as it sounds.



SANTA'S LITTLE HELPERHouse Made Eggnog, Bourbon, Fresh Pear, Cinnamon, & Grated Nutmeg
served with
TIRAMISU (non-traditional)- Roasted Bartlett Pears, House Made Ladyfingers, Mascarpone Crema, Buttered Pecans, Pear Moscato Sorbetto, & Salted Caramel


I'd like to call this course amazing, so I will. I'm more into savory than sweets as a rule, but this was an exception. The pear in the eggnog is inspired. It just adds that little something that makes you go 'hmmm.' Of course, it went perfectly with the pear-based tiramisu. Mind you, that tastes NOTHING like tiramisu as we know it, but more like if tiramisu had a light, fluffy, creamy, fruity sibling. Soooo good. 

Trattoria Neapolis
336 S. Lake Ave. 
Pasadena, CA 91101
(626) 792-3000




2 comments:

  1. Well, those pictures makes me hungry, It looks so delicious. Wish I can also taste it. Haha.. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could make you hungry! Thanks for reading.

      Delete